Accounting Advisory Services
At DLA, our Accounting Advisory professionals assist finance leaders in addressing accounting and financial reporting challenges. These services are comprised of technical accounting assistance (audit preparation and facilitation, IPO readiness and post-IPO SEC compliance), outsourced services (CFO, controllers, staff augmentation), establishing or improving the finance and accounting organization, and merger & acquisition transaction support and accounting assistance.
Common reasons why
clients engage us
Accounting Research & Standards Implementation
Organizations need a comprehensive action plan to interpret accounting requirements, identify key issues to manage, process revisions, adjust accounting systems and revise internal controls.
It is important to leverage the right advice when addressing a range of increasingly complex accounting areas, including matters such as business combinations, impairments, consolidation, financial instruments and transaction-related accounting and financial reporting.
What We Do:
- Navigate through complex accounting matters such as revenue recognition, lease accounting, business combinations, debt, and equity transactions and CECL
- Aid with the implementation of new or recently adopted accounting standards such as revenue recognition, leasing, and CECL by offering comprehensive plans for implementation and go-forward accounting
- Assist in converting International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS) to U.S. Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (US GAAP)
Audit Preparation & Support
In today’s dynamic business and regulatory environment, financial reporting is constantly changing. Lean finance teams may not have the required financial resources and talent to prepare and navigate through a financial statement audit. Our professionals can support companies through all phases of the audit.
What We Do:
- Augment your team with our experienced team members
- Prepare the supporting work-papers and financial statements
- Handle technical accounting issues
- Assist in dealing with auditors
CFOs face a complex, constantly changing business environment in which growth strategies need to be supported by a flexible organization that delivers transparent, efficient, forward-looking insight, manages risk and compliance, effectively leverages capital, and maximizes liquidity, all while keeping up to date with accounting and reporting compliance. With today’s competitive environment, the finance function must do more with less.
Our team has extensive experience with financial management and operations. We help our clients develop high performing, cost-effective finance functions with streamlined and standardized processes that focus on adding insight to the business while delivering effective controls and increased efficiency.
What We Do:
- Establish or improve the finance and accounting organization
- Help to improve the accounting close, and internal and external financial reporting processes
- Design, implement and/or enhance internal controls
- Write or update policies and procedures
IPO Readiness & Support
Taking a company public can be a challenging and lengthy process. Most private companies considering an IPO do not have adequate personnel depth or financial processes to adequately respond to the rigors of public company reporting compliance. Our team has the IPO and SEC reporting expertise required to assist organizations with the preparation of documents vital to the IPO process, as well as handling the complex array of components essential to going public.
What We Do:
- Manage the financial aspects of going public, including the S-1 financial related information and financial statement exhibits
- Prepare and/or review SEC filings such as 10-Ks and 10-Qs
- Lend support with IPO SOX readiness, the implementation or updating of SOX documentation and testing
M&A Transaction Support & Accounting
Organizations need the ability to effectively execute a transformational event such as an acquisition, merger, or divestiture. Successfully executing a deal is the materialization of a growth strategy and sends a strong message about the direction of an organization. Achieving deal success requires the ability to navigate challenging transaction accounting and reporting to mitigate risks and unexpected results.
This changeover is often very complex and requires experienced transaction accounting specialists who fully comprehend the requirements and regulations involved. Our experienced professionals will work side-by-side with clients and help them navigate through this complicated process.
Once the transaction has been executed, our professionals can open or organize the books of a newly acquired business and establish effective financial reporting.
What We Do:
- Perform due diligence and prepare the quality of earnings reports
- Advise on the structuring of key accounting elements of a transaction
- Assist in the reporting and accounting of business combinations
- Assist in the integration of newly acquired business
- Assist in the divestiture of a business (carve-out financial statement preparation)
Part-Time & Interim Accounting Roles
Frequently, companies are left with inadequate accounting and financial leadership to execute critical initiatives. Our professionals assist with addressing the needs of companies that need interim or part-time support, as well as help private equity firms as they integrate portfolio companies and create value throughout the investment life cycle.
The first 100 days following the close of a transaction are critical to the ultimate success of the deal. Using our technical accounting expertise and deep operational know-how, we provide clients with integrated support during critical transition periods. Our team becomes a crucial extension of your team, bridging the gap between value creation strategy and on-the-ground execution.
Whatever the reason, our professionals offer significant senior operating experience in the areas of financial operations, financial reporting, and financial planning and analysis.
What We Do:
- Act as a part-time or interim CFO, Controller, and finance or accounting department for recently acquired companies, start-ups, and emerging growth companies
- Assist during periods of growth, restructuring or unexpected staff turnover
Meet the Experts
SCOTT LEVY, CPA
New England Practice & Accounting Advisory Leader